热门帖子

2012年2月16日星期四

Lecture 3:Theories of Knowledge and Cognition, Social Tasks

This lecture is about how our mind is engaged in social networking environments, and how should we design social environments.

In my opinion, the most interesting area is hierarchy of cognition. It has three levels: cognition, metacognition, epistemic cognition. I think every body is the comprehensive of these three level. But there  will be difference in different scenes. And this is not easy to standardized. So it is impossible for someone to deal all the things in different scenes by only one strategy. I think that is why there are so many social networks worldwide.

Another interesting area is relationship mapping and mining.  In my experience, I think these social networks focus on relationship and then make every effort to solve the problem of mapping and mining. But when they emphasis the feature of relationship, the feature of search is weakened in some degree. And to improve the user experience, recommendation is emphasized. To end user, the difference is that search needs more information from users and it is a initiative process, while recommendation needs less information from users and it is a passive process. I don't understanding all the meanings of there differences, but I think it is really interesting. And to see search system and recommendation system in same level will let me gain better understanding.

2 条评论:

  1. I also think relationship mapping and mining is a very interesting feature in social networking sites. In the past, you can just build your friendship network in real life. Once you lost your friend's phone contact, you won't be able to reach them. But with social networking sites, the world is totally changed. I am always amazed when Facebook recommends me friends that I haven't seen for over 10 years! The process is no longer a passive one!

    回复删除
    回复
    1. Yes, I have exactly the same experience. It is really amazing experience. I agree with you that the world is totally changed and are still changing. Sometimes when I stop and think what the world is becoming, I realized that history and current things becomes so close. And human beings have a good opportunity to see ourselves as a whole now .

      删除